What did we expect in this version? (.....)
- Faceted Search
- Reframeworked (is probably not even a word) in DOJO/Aikau
- New Previewer
- Activity Designer
- New RM functionality
- Some new integrations (Office 365, etc.)
I'm not going to copy and paste all what has been said in Kevin's blog, just going to highlight some features.
The ones who have used the Alfresco Cloud have already seen it. In some cases it didn't respond as quickly due to the Cloud load perhaps, but it's a nice cool new feature which spices the application.
Filtered Search a.k.a. faceted Search
This is the BIGGEST feature we've been waiting for since a couple of years. I mean come on Alfresco you had 2
fully working partner implementations lying around and still went for the long self-built solution.
Which is by far not complete compared to the others.
A month ago we from Contezza wanted to build our own solution for our customers which would also work on the Alfresco Community Edition, but stopped. I was sniffing around in the Alfresco JIRA and found some nice internal tickets regarding faceted search :).
So it looks neat, but there are still some flaws:
- Still waiting for facet/filter management. If a user can't define what he wants to see in the left pane, then there is little point.
- After searching through the Advanced Search you get routed to the "old" search results page ?!?! Why is it still here, we don't need the old stuff anymore. It's probably a bug.
- Still need to learn the new DOJO/Aikau framework, cause some facets/filters will need to be displayed differently. I'd personally change the Size filter in a slider so it's more touch friendly.
- I'd like an option to get Live results like the Live Search in this page.
I'd like to add that the Alfresco team is working on a so called Facet Manager which will have a configuration page to define the facets/filters. So it's the first release and hopefully we'll see these flaws tackled in 5.0.b :).
New HTML5 Previewer based on PDFJS
When I saw this in the Cloud I was like wow I want this in my 4.2 installation, after a while I thought he I've seen this somewhere.
And what do you know it's the same share extras addon called Media Viewers. The new project has been moved to github, so if someone wants the cool same features als 5.0.a or cloud install the addon :).
So the real cool things in this feature are the following 2: "Search Highlighting" and "In Document Page Linking".
But know I can specifically state that in Page 2 of the document found here document-details?noderef=<noderef>#page=2 you've made a huge error is so much cooler.
So in short still a nice improvement when some of the missing things are implemented, so i'll keep watching the JIRA and the nightly's.